Influencing in Westminster

This section of the website explains some of the ways that your organisation can have influence on local decision-making.

Contact a voluntary sector representative

Gareth Owen (Chief Executive of One Westminser), Jackie Rosenberg (Chair of the Westminster Community Network) and Shirley Springer (Vice-Chair of the Westminster Community Network) represent the voluntary and community sector on several local strategic partnerships, and are able to raise issues of concern on behalf of voluntary and community organisations.

Bernard Collier is a member of the Chief Executive’s Steering Group; Westminster City Partnership Commissioning Group; and NHS Central London Clinical Commissioning Group.

Contact Gareth Owen

Jackie Rosenberg is a voice for the voluntary sector on The Westminster Children’s Board and the Health and Wellbeing Board.

Contact Jackie Rosenberg

Participate in Area Forums

What are Area Forums?

Area Forums are public events organised by the Council.  They give Westminster residents and community organisations a chance to hear about Council services, to have a say on local issues, and to give feedback on Council services.  Each of the six area forums is chaired by a local councillor, appointed by the Leader of the Council. 

What happens at Area Forum meetings?

Most meetings include a workshop session, looking at key local issues, and questions and answers on any local topic.  Area Forums begin at 7pm – but council officers are available from 6.30pm to answer any questions you have about Council services, or to take details of any local issues that you think need to be addressed. 

Find out more about Area Forums

More information on Area Forums, and details of upcoming meetings are available on the Westminster City Council website.

Contact a councillor

Local councillors can be powerful friends for voluntary and community organisations – not just because they can help you get your views heard, but also because they have so many local connections.

Which councillor should you talk to?

You can contact your ward councillor (the one with responsibility for your neighbourhood) or you can contact a member of the Westminster City Council cabinet with responsibility for a particular issue (for example, community services, or children and young people).

How do you choose which councillor to talk to?  Some people say that it is better to talk to cabinet members, particularly if your ward councillor is from the opposition.  This is because cabinet members are seen as having more influence, and are more closely linked into the Council’s operations. 

Find a councillor

Up-to-date lists of councillors, and their responsibilities are available on the Westminster City Council website.

See a list of cabinet members

See an A-Z list of Westminster councillors


Voluntary Action Westminster is a registered charity (no. 1068824) and is registered as a company in England and Wales with company number 03518124.  Copyright Voluntary Action Westminster 2009

Developed by Third Sector Design